Sunday, January 31, 2010

Nerd Season


"I don't see much of your father these days. It's Nerd Season, you know"

-Cheryl Hilton


Of course, my mom is referring to Tax Season. My dad loves doing taxes. Loves it. The year after he retired he took an income tax class. I asked, "Oh, are you going to start doing taxes professionally?" And he replied, "Nope! I just always wanted to learn more about taxes". Seriously? Wow. And, because I'm now back in Ohio, he's doing my taxes again. He does my sister's taxes, my grandma's taxes, my uncle's taxes, my mother's, etc..... And he loves it. He practically met me at the door this morning. Barely even acknowledging his first born child, he snatched my W-2 out of my hands. He looked like a little kid on Christmas morning. I took special pains this morning to ensure I had everything he needed. (You know....the mortgage interest statement and the like.) My mom said, "You know, now he's going to fret about whether or not he has the right papers". As if on cue, my dad said, "Well, I think I have everything I need, but I'm not sure".


He has a super weird obsession with using a tax program AND figuring them out by hand. It's like he's in a man vs. computer race. But if anyone could find a flaw in the Tax Cut program, it would be Curt Hilton. Very strange. He also fills out the tax forms in pencil as well as printing them up on the computer. He also honks at the poor unfortunate souls that stand outside of Liberty Tax dressed up like the Statue of Liberty. You know the ones I'm talking about.... It's like with every honk he's saying, "Hey! I dig doing taxes too"!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I like doing my taxes and comparing them to the computer results too, lol, but haven't been able to do that in several years. I just don't have the time!

Jules said...

Cutie Dad! He sounds great! And, I always honk at those poor people, too, but mostly just because I feel sorry for them. And there's some nerd in me, too.