Sunday, December 7, 2008

Near Death Experience



So, I thought I could make it out of Erie okay this afternoon. Mother Nature, however, had other plans for me. I was on my way to my good friend's mom's house for her baby shower. Even though the Erie weatherman was calling for snow from 1pm on, it seemed like all was well in Cleveland, so I decided to go for it. My neighborhood streets were virtually un-drivable (is that a word??). I thought I-90 would be better, but it really wasn't. I finally decided to turn around about 3 miles from the Ohio border. This was after going through a white-out and nearly sliding off the road. But I'm warm and safe at home now...and very thankful that I made it home in one piece! But I'm so sad I'm missing Katie's shower. I had baby Reilley's gift custom made and was sooooo looking forward to seeing Katie open it. I know she understands, but it just sucks that I can't be there! I think I may take a nap to settle my nerves.....

2 comments:

Jules said...

Oh! You were really sweet to even attempt! That is some seriously scary driving pictures. By the way, were you driving and taking pictures at the same time??

Shannon said...

I have to share this; on my mother's deathbed a favorite uncle of mine shared with us that my mother once drove my aunt, his wife, to Erie PA in a blizzard because he was in Erie ready to kill himself! So basically she nearly got them all killed while driving in those conditions.

Now that I have written that story I feel a bit dorky because one, it's a bit depressing that it was told on my mother's deathbed, and two, the only relevance to your story is that it was snowy in Erie and it was a different kind of near death experience.

Hmm.

This is just a symptom of being home with my family for two solid weeks of togetherness, lol.