Sunday, December 7, 2008

Holiday Shopping Reminders, Part 2

Okay, I know I've blogged about this before. AND I know that those close to me who don't work retail are probably tired of me being crabby this time of year. As my dear mother said the other day, "Gee I love you during the holidays". I know it's crowded out there and the weather sucks and sometimes it's impossible to find someone in a store to help you. I'm a shopper too. Trust me, I get it. But all the same, I do have a few more holiday shopping reminders!

1) Be nice to the retail workers. If you happen upon a surly one, remember that they are probably exhausted and kill them with kindness. It may snap them out of their funk. Nice people remind us that we are there for the customers and we need to do everything we can to take care of them. Seriously. I will do so much for a nice person. Even (gasp) looking for items at a competitor and calling them with the info.
2) Remember that calling a store to see if something is in stock really does you no good at all. Most places don't hold anything this time of year, and by the time you haul your butt to the store, it may or may not be there! Plus, while the poor person is trying to help you shop over the phone, there are 20 people standing around him wondering why he isn't helping them. Plus, instead of Joe Clerk counting how many Pictionary Man games are in stock, he could be restocking the Bakugan items.....
3) I can almost understand calling a store to find out if they carry something. If you do this, be nice to the person answering the phone! You might just happen to be speaking to the store manager, who could maybe give you some inside scoop like if the Wall-E robot you want is going to be on that night's truck. But if you're a bitch, she won't tell you anything. Not. One. Single. Thing.

Seriously, I shouldn't even be posting these reminders. The people in my circle are not really the kind of people that even need these reminders! So I guess this is kinda like preachin' to the choir.... But it makes me feel better. (And I'm crabby.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crabby? Really?????

Erin said...

Cut it out, mom. I know you made that comment. :-)