Sunday, October 12, 2008

What I Learned on Vacation


  • I just got back from visiting my BFF, Lori, in North Carolina. She and her hubby just had their 4th child, so I went to help her for a few days. I don't know how much "help" I was, but at least I was a diversion for the girls - Emma, Lily (shown here) and Julia. Lori is Superwoman! I always knew she was a good homemaker, but whenever I spend time with her I have more respect for her! She is absolutely amazing -- and makes it all look so easy! Here are some takeaways from my vacation:

1. Don't show kids pictures on your cell phone. They will want to look at them again. And again. And again.... You get the idea.

2. Newborns are very high maintenance.

3. If a 4 year old doesn't like your lipstick, she will let you know.

4. Newborns are a lot of work.

5. Kids are CRANKY when they get home from school. Really cranky! Seriously. It's kindergarten....how bad could it be??

6. It is NOT easy to get 3 children ready for bed at the same time! Baths, PJs, book reading, tooth brushing.... I'm pretty sure I skipped a step at least one of the nights!

7. You quickly realize how inappropriate your music selection is when take a 4 year old to preschool and decide not to turn on Radio Disney. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Lily doesn't decide to break out singing "In the Ayer" ("Oh hot damn...this is my jam.....")!

8. Have I mentioned that newborns are a lot of work? My interactions with baby Jacob were minimal, but he requires constant vigilance!

9. Getting woken up before 7am every day by 2 kids is not all that much fun....even if they're as adorable as Lily and Emma. It's especially great on those days when they announce, "Auntie, your hair is a hot mess".

10. I am very lucky to have such great friends in my life! Thank you, Lori & Paul, for welcoming me into your home!







No comments: