Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Something Smells


Isn't it funny how a certain smell can make memories flood back? The smell of powdered sugar, for example, always reminds me of my Grandma Starner. Every time we spent the night at her house, she made us icing out of powdered sugar for our graham crackers. We thought that was soooo cool! And, ask any female my age, and they will tell you about a boy from HS that they think of when they smell Polo or Drakkar. At any rate, I was driving home from work the other night when I leaned my head in my mittens and the whiff of the suede reminded me of something..... Somehow, the gloves reminded me of Christmas, my first "grown-up" pair of gloves, and - of all things - a microscope. It took me a while to make the connection. I remembered the gloves right away because I thought they were so adult! When I got home that evening, I spent a while pouring over my scrapbooks for an old Christmas picture that would spark and memory when I found the picture above. Yep - that's me posing with my super cool Barbie camper. You will notice that this is the year that I also got a microscope! Oh how I loved that thing! And, check it out.....those are the fancy gloves!

Other observations: 1) Isn't it funny how kids always pose with their toys? 2) Why doesn't my hair look that good first thing in the morning now?

2 comments:

Shannon said...

From Wikipedia: "The olfactory nerve is the shortest of all the twelve cranial nerves and only one of two cranial nerves (the other being the optic nerve) that do not join with the brainstem." In other words, the things we smell travel the shortest, most direct route to the brain of all the senses, and if memory serves, all those impulses are closer to your memory centers than the other senses too. Ever read Proust? He writes a lot about this.

Jules said...

Oh my gosh! We totally had that same Barbie Camper - we loved it!! Good memories.