Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Puzzling Situation

My mother has a new obsession. Puzzles. Here's how it went down: Her BFF, Ann, is totally into puzzles. And apparently on some trip together, my mom caught a wicked bad case of the puzzle bug. The past couple times we've been to Target together, she always makes us look at the puzzles. (Side note: That's our thing. When we get together we always find an excuse to go to Target. Even if one of us has already been there that day.) And one Saturday afternoon, my parents showed up at work to buy puzzles. "Your dad's buying me TWO puzzles", she exclaimed excitedly. I guess there could be worse things that your mother could be into, right? There's no end to her madness. And when she's on a roll, she does this little dance and sings this song... ("I'm so good at puzzles...I'm so good at puzzles....") It's beginning to scare me a little. Even my dad thinks she's gone crazy. He was talking to Ann's (remember, she's the BFF) husband last night on the phone and he told him that Cheryl was a master puzzler now.

"I mean, it's after 9pm and she's up there doing puzzles!"
Curt Hilton

Clearly my father is just as perplexed about this strange behavior as I am. I suggested she take a break from puzzling, and she insisted that she could quit any time she wanted. Cheryl, the first step is admitting you have a problem.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

You know my younger son loves puzzles too, and now I am getting into them. I think maybe it's a backlash against the hi-tech world or something. You should get her some puzzles that are of impressionist paintings; they are super hard.

Jules said...

So funny! I've got to admit, I love puzzles, too. I'm not quite at the level your mom is evidently at, though. :)