Tuesday, April 6, 2010

So Trashy


I spent my morning off yesterday cleaning out the area behind my store. Apparently the local homeless have been using the woods beside my building as a summer home. It was not what I wanted to do on a day off, but it needed done. And here's the cool part: My parents came over to help. There were some tense moments, like the argument between me and my dad about correct placement of trash in the dumpster. But I was soooo thankful for their help. I would have been out there all day instead of 3 hours if it weren't for them. Just one more reason why I have the best parents in the world! Here's a partial list of what we cleaned up:

1) One mattress (full size)
2) One sofa
3) 39 bottles of beer (40 oz, mostly Busch Light)
4) 9 bags of leaves that someone dumped.
5) 8 tires
6) 13 other bags of random trash. Mostly empty drink bottles.
7) 1 headboard (queen size)
8) 1 large (3' at least) wooden spoon....I guess proabably used for wall decoration somewhere.
9) 2 drinking glasses - probably lifted from Bob Evans.
10) 1 large garbage can filled with roof shingles.
11) 2 buckets
12) 1 cooler

I tried to think of what we could make out of the beer bottles (vases, anyone?), but Cheryl nixed that idea. There are still quite a few beer bottles that we didn't get, so I still have the chance to come up with some additional thoughts before Christmas!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Yuck. What a job. It was always like that behind Eastland Center 8 too. There was a creek that ran along there, and people used to dump stuff, and yeah I recall some tent city situation going back there for a while.