Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Happy St. Patrick's Day to all! I just spent some time trying to figure out the connection between St. Patrick (you know...the guy who drove the snakes out of Ireland), Leprechuans and green beer. I mean, my name is Erin after all, so it's kind of like my own special holiday. (My friends Shannon and Katie will agree with me on that one.) Turns out, there really is no connection! Americans have pretty much made up the whole wearing green thing. What about pinching people who aren't wearing green? Yep - that's pretty much made up by Americans as well. See, back in the 1700s, people thought if you wore green, it made you invisible to the Leprechauns. Apparently, Leprechauns have a nasty habit of pinching anyone they could see. So the pinching is to warn and remind you about the Leprechauns. Hmmmmm.... I won't go into too much detail. I have a couple of super smart friends who probably already have all kinds of historical info on their blogs already, so click the links over there on the right if you want some real education. (Morgen and Shannon, I'm talking about you!) It's still a fun holiday, dontcha think? I personally don't think I'll be partaking in too much green beer today. I went in to work at 4am and am fighting either allergies or a bad cold. Beer + Tired Erin + Benedryl = Not a pretty picture. If you're out and about today, be safe and watch out for Leprechauns!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Strangely enough, I got nuthin today, lol. I'm making an Irishy-inspired apron from a "vintage" pillow case, so we'll see how that goes and if I can get it done in time to post today.
Fun zoological fact: there were never snakes in Ireland. Rather, if there were any, they didn't survive the glacier that swept across the island.
Fun political thingy: the wearin' of the green and shamrocks was a big deal for Irish Americans and Irish immigrants because the British didn't allow them to express their ethnic identity for hundreds of years. The Irish in America had the big parades and made a bit deal of March 17th partially because they missed their home, but more as an expression of their political power as a group to be listened to.
:-) Erin Gobragh! (or some such thing)
I knew I could count on you! :-) Hey - check out my book blog. I just finished a book (Wench) that I think you would like. It was awesome.
Post a Comment